You must plan ahead and be as flexible as possible with your dates of travel. The high tourist season in Argentina is from October to April. If you want to reserve a caravan, motor home or 4x4during these months we highly recommend you reserve from 9 months to 1 year in advance. Make your travel dates and location flexible as well. This will give you the highest probability of finding the right size vehicle available, at the right time, in the right place. If you are budget conscience and/or want to make a last minute reservation, be sure to check our current SPECIALS. Otherwise, low season (May-September) rentals are the way to go.
Most of our clients want to go south to Patagonia. Why? Because it is beautiful and it gets the most attention in guide books. We agree, Patagonia is beautiful. In the winter Patagonia is beautiful and really, really cold. Northern Argentina is very much overlooked. It is beautiful anytime of year and should be on everyone´s itinerary especially during the winter months. Don´t know anything about Northern Argentina? Try looking for destinations like SALTA, JUJUY, CATAMARCA and the waterfalls of IGUAZU. They are beautiful, more temperate and more accessible in the winter months. So if you think a low season rental is for you, Northern Argentina is the place to do it.
Ripio is Spanish for Unpaved road. We always recommend you avoid ripio whenever possible. However in Argentina, this is not always possible. Unless you are renting a 4×4 Camping vehicle, you must build more time into your travel schedule if you go through Ripio. We recommend you plan on approximately 300 km´s per day because you have to go slow. If you go fast, you will likely damage the vehicle and end up paying for those damages. Something you don´t like and something we don´t like either. Alternatively, you can reach many of the popular destinations by paved roads which we always recommend. Just let us know your travel plan and we can help you make a sensible route.
Yes. You will need a special permit to drive a ruta|sur motor home in Chile. The cost of this permit is EUR 150.-. Please allow a minimum of 7 working days to process this permit. We do not encourage clients to cross the border unless absolutely necessary due to unexpected delays with immigration and/or customs procedures.
Yes. 250km are included per day. Extra kilometers are EUR 0,35 cents per kilometer. All rentals longer than 42 days have unlimited kilometers!
Upon confirmation, a reservation down payment of 30% of the rental price needs to be deposited in our bank account or in our Office. This deposit will be applied toward your rental charges. A guarantee of EUR 1950.- is payable at departure and the remaining 70% of the rental price one month before the departure. Credit cards are accepted with a 10% extra charge. Upon return, all extra charges, if any, are balanced against the damage deposit.
Mileage depends on the size of the motor home or 4×4 and the driving conditions. Generally, you will get 100 Km with 10/12 liter of Diesel. Diesel fuel is available at aprox. AR$ 7,00.- per liter. (EUR 1,20).
Vehicles can be picked up during office opening hours, from 09:30 to 17:00 , Monday to Friday. Outside these hours or in weekends pick up is on request.
Motor homes handle much like a car, especially the Compact class units which are vans built up as a fully equipped motor home. All our vehicles are equipped with a manual transmission.
No. At departure you will be given a 30 – 60 minute familiarization tour and learn how to operate the appliances.
Yes. All our motor homes come fully equipped with pots and pans. Furthermore you will find bed linen and camping equipment in the motor homes. Please check the website for a full equipment list. 4×4´s can be equipped with an optional camping kit.
No. Also pets are not allowed.
One way rentals are possible at an extra charge. Please contact us for the additional cost of your one way destination. How do I pay for the rental? Ruta|sur requests that all payments be made with via bank transfer. First with an initial payment of 30% and the final balance must be transferred one month before the start date.
Campground rates vary based on time of year and what facilities they offer. Generally you can expect to pay between AR$ 25.- and AR$ 50.- per night.
Yes. Our motor homes are not allowed on unpaved roads unless no paved alternative is available. It is not allowed to take a ruta|sur motor home on Ruta 40 from Río Mayo to El Calafate and Ruta 9 from El Calafate to the connection with Ruta 3 nor in other gravel roads around Argentina or neighboring countries.
No refunds will be made for early returns, late pick-ups or unused miles.
No, we do not recommend this. It is difficult to know if the water is potable when you fill the tank at a variety of locations. We recommend you use bottled water for drinking and cooking. The water from the tank is fine for washing and bathing.